Sunday, November 8, 2009

Eating Thai food in Austin Power's pad

During my 9:30 a.m. classes, I'm munching on just about anything I can bring from my dorm. But by noon when I meet my boyfriend for lunch, I'm famished.

We walked to St. Mark's out of habit until we realized...where the hell are we going to eat? We rattled through our usuals.

Gama?...Not enough money.
May's?...We JUST went to an all-you-can-eat sushi place, remember?! Oh. Right...
2 Bro's?...I want REAL food.
Chipotle?...You just ate there yesterday.

He finally remembered a place his friend had told him about: all-you-can-eat Thai buffet. We walked to 2nd Avenue and 5th Street to check it out. When we got there, first thing we noticed was the enormous poster plastered on the glass transparent walls declaring "ALL YOU CAN EAT LUNCH BUFFET $7.95 + FREE SODA"

You really can't miss this place. It oddly stands out with its huge glass window and literally curvy build. The furniture had a mod feel, with uncomfortable white plastic chairs. But this place doubles as a bar/lounge at night, so maybe the daylight wasn't doing it justice. Basically, it's a bad attempt at rebuilding Austin Power's pad. 

We walked in and saw about 8 to 9 dishes laid out buffet-style right by the floor-length glass wall. We were seated promptly and the waitress asked us what free soda we'd like. Ginger ale for me, just water for Allan.

Their spread of dishes were surprisingly good. The Mango Chicken was fresh and sweet. I loved the Thai Salad with the peanut dressing. The pineapple fried rice was interesting for me because it was my first time trying it--verdict: not too bad. There was this noodle dish resembling Chinese lo mein in place of the pad thai you usually see in Thai restaurants, but it was delicious nonetheless, with pieces of beef and heaps of vegetables. The green chicken curry, however, was a little disappointing and bland. After going back one more time (twice for Allan), I helped myself to a plateful of fruits--watermelons, oranges and cantaloupes. So fresh and juicy!

The food was all-in-all decent, and for a buffet at $7.95 in the city, it's pretty worth it. We walked out full and satisfied, and shuffled along in the cold to our next class.

No comments:

Post a Comment