Tuesday, November 3, 2009

permanent solution for a temporary solution



I hope I never have to experience the anguish a suicidal person goes through. Because I hope I never even have to let the thought of killing myself cross my mind.

This morning, when I was crossing the street to walk to Cantor Film Center, I got a text. It was from my boyfriend --"Someone died at Bobst at 4:30 a.m."

An audible gasp escaped my mouth and my hand flew up to catch it. And the only word that I thought of was, "Again?"

I remember my Freshman year in 2007, a university student committed suicide in my residence hall. Later in the semester, another student took his own life at the Water Street Residence Hall. I remember thinking how real this all was, how students really suffer so much, to the point where they take their own lives because they just can't take it anymore. It was a wake-up call for myself and many of my peers.

Today, Andrew Williamson-Nobel, may he rest in peace, was found unconscious and unresponsive in Bobst Library's lobby. He was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital shortly after 5 a.m., where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The cause of death is still unknown.

Andrew was 20 years old. He was a Junior--my year. I can't hypothesize on his reasons or even if it was intentional. But I pray for him and those who knew him at any degree. I feel the same way as I did two years ago: worried, thankful, and sad that I missed out on meeting a great guy.

Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary solution. I've heard that somewhere and it stuck with me to this day. If you're struggling, let's talk it out. There's always an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment